Private day tour from Livorno Port to Siena and San Gimignano
Duration: approx. 10 hours
This tour was already booked by 10 people
- € 142.00
Why choose this experience?
|1||To participate in a private tour from the Port of Livorno|
|2||To visit the historic centre of Siena accompanied by an expert guide|
|3||To discover San Gimignano, one of the most beautiful towns of Tuscany|
Treat yourself to a day of culture and relaxation in the heart of Tuscany! With our tour in a minivan you can visit the medieval city of Siena (the historic town centre) and San Gimignano, one of the most beautiful towns of the region. You will be sure to be enchanted by the colours and the beauty of the landscape!
- Our tour starts at the port of Livorno, where you will meet our driver who will explain briefly the program of the day.
- The first destination will be Siena, surrounded by rolling hills and considered one of the most beautiful medieval towns in Italy. Our local guide will accompany you to discover the historic centre by walking through the old streets and admiring the historical buildings. You will walk up to the Cathedral (which you can enter as the ticket is included in the tour price) which was built between 1214 and 1263 in a Gothic style. The church of Santa Maria Assunta contains numerous masterpieces by famous artists such as Michelangelo, Donatello, Pisano and Pinturicchio.
The exterior and the interior of the Cathedral are decorated with alternating stripes of white and green / black marble, representative colours of Siena that are reminiscent of the black and white horses of Senio and Aschio, the legendary founders of the city.
- After admiring the cathedral and its treasures, the tour will continue with a guided visit to Piazza del Campo, known around the world for its original shape of a shell divided into nine segments, each dedicated to one of the members of the old government that, between 1287 and 1355, gave rise to the most important treasures that we can still admire today. Piazza del Campo is also famous for hosting an event that always attracts thousands of spectators from around the world: the Palio of Siena. Jockeys and horses from each district compete in a traditional carousel able to bring the city to its former medieval setting.
- The large square is dominated by the Town Hall and the very high Torre del Mangia which, on sunny days, cast their shadows on the red bricks of the 'shell' by offering a truly impressive sight.
It is worth taking a look at the Fonte Gaia, a splendid monumental fountain located in the upper part of the square. The bas-reliefs by Jacopo della Quercia who adorned the basin were badly damaged, and in 1868, they were replaced by exact copies. The original marble panels are kept at the Museum Complex of Santa Maria della Scala in Piazza del Duomo.
- At lunchtime, toscanainside.com suggests a peaceful farmhouse in the Chianti countryside where you can enjoy a light but tasty lunch, for which reservations are required. Alternatively, you choose one of the many restaurants or pizzerias located in the historic centre of Siena.
- After lunch and your 'well-deserved rest, you will be ready to board the minibus for San Gimignano, one of the most renowned towns of Tuscany which, because of its beauty is now on the UNESCO World Heritage Site list.
The hill where this town stands was a strategic point to defend against enemies and dominate the entire hill. It was occupied in ancient times: as evidenced by the tombs and other archaeological finds in this area, in the 3rd century B. C. The Etruscans first and then the Romans settled here, giving the town the name of Silvia. The current name of San Gimignano was given by a bishop of Modena who, according to tradition, liberated the village from the barbaric invasion.
The village is easily recognizable by its tall towers and tower-houses, once belonging to the aristocracy of financiers and merchants. Yet some have been preserved in excellent condition while others have partially been demolished, mainly because the people of San Gimignagno were known for their turbulences and conflicts between noble families. The severe punishment for the family that lost was just the ‘Tower cutting', a very strange and curious tradition!
- Walking through the historic centre of this charming village will be like taking a trip back in time: the towers, the long walls, the old houses, squares, the gates ... you will feel like you are living in the Middle Ages!
What is there to see in San Gimignano? The Cathedral, the Collegiate Church of Santa Maria, externally it is simple and bare, but inside it contains precious treasures such as the frescoes by Benozzo Gozzoli and Taddeo Bartolo, the 1200 polychrome wooden crucifix and the Chapel of Santa Fina.
In Piazza del Duomo you can admire, flanked by the Loggia del Comune and the Torre Grossa, the People's Palace, which now houses the San Gimignagno Civic Museum. From the Hall of Secret Meetings a staircase takes you to the Torre Grossa, from which you can enjoy a wonderful view over the village rooftops and surrounding hills. Continue and you will get to the Art Gallery which houses valuable works of art by Benozzo, Pinturicchio, Filippino Lippi and Benozzo Gozzoli.
- After the visit to the medieval village, you will meet your minivan driver again who will take you to the Port of Livorno. Do not miss the opportunity to visit Siena and San Gimignagno in one day. Simply complete the form online and we will let you know the availability!
From 1 March to 31 DecemberDeparture point:
to be agreed
Starting from €142,00 per person (for groups of 10 people - escort included).
In case the number of participants is less than 10, the price per person changes as follow:
approx. 10 hours
There will be no refund in case of NO-SHOW (non-attendance at the start of the tour at the time and the meeting point indicated on the voucher) and / or denial of the service on-site; if customers are lost during the tour; in case customers decide to leave the tour before the end of the service.
To join the tour, you must submit a copy of the voucher (in electronic or paper format).
Reservations can be made up to 72 working hours before the service.
No penalty for cancellations up to 5 working days before the date of service.
50% penalty for cancellations from 4 days to 48 hours prior to the service date.
100% penalty for cancellations 48 hours before the service date or in case of no show.
Light lunch in a typical farmhouse in the Chianti countryside €36 per person (the menu includes 3 courses with local products, ½ litre of mineral water and ¼ litre wine).
Guide for the whole day (up to 7 people)
In exceptional cases and/or reasons of force majeure that may prevent the tour already purchased to run regularly (i.e. acts of nature, strikes, exceptional closures, serious unexpected events or health problems experienced by the person in charge with the service after which it is really impossible to find a substitute), the tour might be cancelled. The customer will be notified of this as soon as possible and will be asked to choose between postponing the tour on the first date available or receiving a prompt refund of the price paid for the tour, if the cancellation policy of the service itself allows a refund.
Departure point map
- Select language
- Choose a date
- Input data
Please make a new search!
Private day tour from Livorno Port to Florence and Pisa
Duration: approx. 10 hours
- € 167.00
- Per person