One-day excursion from Siena to San Gimignano and Volterra with tasting and traditional lunch
Duration: approx. 8 hours
This tour was already booked by 7 people
- Per person
- € 140.00
Why choose this experience?
|1||To discover two marvellous villages immersed in the green of the Tuscan hills: San Gimignano and Volterra|
|2||To taste typical products as well as a delicious lunch in a characteristic farm|
|3||To enjoy a wonderful tour in a small group|
If you want to visit two of the most beautiful villages in Tuscany, do not miss this fantastic tour: you will live an unforgettable day discovering San Gimignano and Volterra, passing through Monteriggioni and enjoying an excellent lunch based on typical products.
- The tour will start from Siena: after meeting your guide, you will climb on board a comfortable minibus with all the comforts and start your journey to Monteriggioni, the charming village also mentioned by Dante in his Divine Comedy. Here you will stop for a while to admire the majestic medieval walls that surround this ancient village: built in the XIII century, they have remained perfectly intact until today.
- The second stage will be at a very picturesque village, San Gimignano, famous throughout the world for its structure and for its 14 medieval towers that make its profile truly unique. In your spare time you can stroll along the narrow streets of the old town dotted with shops, craft workshops and charming restaurants where you can taste Vernaccia, the most famous locally produced wine. You can also walk along the Via Francigena, the centuries-old Roman pilgrimage route. In 1990, San Gimignano was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO for being a precious, perfectly preserved testimony of Medieval architecture. But that's not all: this village also has several museums that are worth a visit, such as the Civic Museum which houses the paintings of important painters, the Museum of Sacred Art and last but not least, the Wine Museum.
- At this point you will probably start to feel a bit peckish, so you will move to a small family-run farm where you can enjoy a delicious traditional lunch based on fresh and genuine products of the region. In particular, try the tasty saffron recipes: saffron is one of the characteristic products of the area, accompanied by delicious Vernaccia.
- After lunch you will head to Volterra, going along beautiful scenic roads: the first stop is at a small workshop of alabaster, unfortunately one of the few still in activity. For those who didn’t know, alabaster is a type of stone that was first used more than two thousand years ago ago by the Etruscans. Though no longer the fulcrum of the economy of this beautiful village, manufacturing alabaster to create works of art remains a fascinating activity which preserves a great centuries-long tradition.
- Once you leave the workshop you will reach Volterra, formerly called Velathri, a city rich in history, a perfect fusion of Etruscan, Roman, Medieval and Renaissance artistic influences. Here too you will have free time to discover its sights: among the things not to be missed we would like to mention the renowned Guarnacci Etruscan Museum and the incredible Roman Theater, located in the archaeological area of Vallebuona, a real architectural jem that will leave you gobsmacked. A large part of the city walls dating back to the 4th century BC can also be visited, as well as two of the city gates, Porta dell'Arco and Porta Diana and the old Acropolis which contains the foundations of two ancient temples.
Alternatively, you can opt for a walk around the historic center where you can breathe a timeless atmosphere: in the many craft shops you can taste some typical products or buy souvenirs choosing among the wonderful alabaster objects that have made Volterra famous all over the world.
We are convinced that after having visited these places, beautiful gems nestled in the Tuscan countryside, you really won’t be looking forward at the idea of getting back on the minibus to head home. But we are sure that it will be an experience that you will always treasure in your heart!
from 1st March to 31st DecemberDeparture point:
Siena, in front of San Domenico Church
From 1st to 31st March
From 1st April to 31st December
approx. 8 hours
In case the farm is not available on the day of your tour, the typical lunch will be offered in a characteristic trattoria.
Please inform us about any food allergies or intolerances.
There will be no refund in case of NO-SHOW (non-attendance at the start of the tour at the allocated time and at the meeting point indicated on the voucher) and/or rejection of the service on the day; if customers wander off during the tour; or if they decide to leave the tour before the end of the service.
To take part in the tour, you must be at the meeting point at least 15 minutes before the departure time specified, and present either a paper or an electronic voucher.
The tour is guaranteed with a minimum of 2 people per language.
Bookings can be made up to 24 working hours before the service.
In case of any problems on site, please ring the emergency number on the voucher.
In exceptional cases and/or reasons of force majeure that may prevent the tour already purchased to run regularly (i.e. acts of nature, strikes, exceptional closures, serious unexpected events or health problems experienced by the person in charge with the service after which it is really impossible to find a substitute), the tour might be cancelled. The customer will be notified of this as soon as possible and will be asked to choose between postponing the tour on the first date available or receiving a prompt refund of the price paid for the tour, if the cancellation policy of the service itself allows a refund.
Departure point map
- Select language
- Choose a date
- Input data
Please make a new search!
- Total price
- € 0.00
Siena, San Gimignano and Monteriggioni with food and wine tasting in Chianti: guided tour from Florence
Duration: 10 hours
- Per person
- € 63.00