In the footsteps of the Medici family in Florence
Duration: approx. 2 hours and 30 minutes Location: Florence
This tour was already booked by 6 people
- Per person
- € 29.00
Why choose this experience?
|1||To discover the traces left by the Medici family in Florence, guided by our expert guide|
|2||To admire some of the most famous places of the Tuscan capital|
|3||To enjoy a relaxing wine tasting in the historic centre of Florence|
If you enjoy history you cannot miss our Medici tour in Florence! A wonderful guided tour to learn about the noble family that, over the years, has shaped the look of the Tuscan capital, and whose traces are still visible in the streets, in buildings and monuments in the historical centre of the city.
Stroll through the streets of the old town accompanied by an experienced local guide who, thanks to their stories and anecdotes, will make you take a step back in time until 1400! History, art, customs, rivalries, the main protagonists, the rise and fall of the Florence Medici family in our unmissable Florence Medici tour!
THE MEDICI FAMILY
Before describing the places you will be visiting, we must briefly talk about the real protagonists of this Medici tour. The Florence Medici family, one of the most famous families in Europe, became the protagonist of Italian history from the 15th century when, thanks to Cosimo the Elder but especially Lorenzo, the dynasty acquired great power.
In 1531, following the end of the Republic, Tuscany became a Duchy led by Alessandro de 'Medici who was succeeded by Cosimo in 1537, who later became Grand Duke with the noble title of Cosimo I. The dynasty continued to rule the region until 1737, when Gian Gastone died: with no direct successors, the Grand Duchy of Tuscany passed to the House of Lorraine.
Florence and the Medicis have remained in history for having governed the fate of Florence and the region, for having given birth to three Popes and two Sovereigns, but above all for having made a huge contribution to the cultural, artistic, scientific and spiritual of that period. They deserve credit for having challenged the traditional thinking and to have given birth to a new artistic style that would leave an indelible mark on Italian and European art history.
Books, manuscripts, amazing collections of art, jewelry, valuables and other rarities belonging to the Medici were perfectly preserved until today and are part of the major cultural institutions of Florence.
THE MEDICI FAMILY TOUR
To get to know Florence to the full, you must necessarily understand its relationship with the Florence Medici family: a relationship not always easy but that marked, without a doubt, the history of this city and that you will discover by participating in this interesting itinerary.
Our tour of Medici in Florence provides a pleasant walk in the centre, during which the guide will tell you about the development of the city from the Middle Ages, through the Renaissance period, up to the present day.
Here, in brief the main steps of the Medici walking tour in Florence:
- PIAZZA DELLA SIGNORIA. Always the centre of the life and politics of the city, the square is located a few steps from Palazzo Vecchio, the famous Uffizi Gallery and the Ponte Vecchio. Visually striking, Piazza della Signoria is home to many historic buildings and important monuments such as the equestrian statue of Cosimo I de 'Medici, built in 1598 by Giambologna, and the Loggia of the Lords (or Loggia dei Lanzi), built in 1382, where you can see many sculptures including 'Perse' by Benvenuto Cellini, where the Greek hero is holding the head of Medusa just killed and 'The Rape of the Sabine', a group of marble sculptures made by Giambologna in 1853.
- PALAZZO VECCHIO. Among the most famous civic buildings in the world, Palazzo Vecchio is an outstanding example of civil architecture of the 14th century. Over the centuries it changed its name several times: 'Palazzo dei Priori' in thebeginning, 'Palazzo della Signoria' in the 15th century and 'Palazzo Ducale' in 1540 when it became the residence of the Duke Cosimo I de' Medici. The current name was given only after 1590, when the court of the Duke moved to Palazzo Pitti. As you can see, even with regard to Palazzo Vecchio, the Medici left their mark!
- THE DOME. Undisputed symbol of Florence, the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore is in third place among the largest churches in the world. During its construction, which took place between 1296 and 1436 on the foundations of the ancient Church of Santa Reparata (the remains of which are still visible in the crypt), the Cathedral of Florence has seen the alternation of great masters such as Arnolfo di Cambio, Francesco Talenti and Giotto. The first glimpse of the façade, embellished with pink, green and white marble is with no doubt particularly striking!
Our guided tour of Florence and the Medicis will continue with the BRUNELLESCHI DOME, which with its diameter of 45.5 meters is still today the largest masonry dome in the world, GIOTTO'S BELL TOWER, wonderful testimony of Florentine Gothic architecture of the 13th century and the BAPTISTERY characterized by its particular octagonal base and embellished by the famous Gate of Paradise by Ghiberti made sculptures and considered one of the most important works of the Florentine Renaissance.
- Another must of our Medici tour in Florence, the romantic PONTE VECCHIO from which you can admire the beautiful Medici Hall of Florence, built in 1565 by Giorgio Vasari from which it took the name of VASARI CORRIDOR.
- Our Medici walking tour will take you in front of two holy places: the CHURCH OF ST. TRINITY built in the 11th century and belonging to the Strozzi family first and then the Medici's, and the CHURCH OF ORSANMICHELE that, thanks to its 14 tabernacles that open on the façade, is considered one of the most special churches in the Tuscan capital.
- Our tour on the footsteps of the Medici in Florence, will end with a visit to the Oltrarno District of Florence: situated on the left bank of the Arno River, this area is known for its many craft shops, workshops of ancient crafts, street markets and restaurants.
So, do you like the program of our Medici guided Florence tour? If you still have any doubt, we reveal a secret that will convince you: during the walk there is a 'tasty' stop ... we cannot tell you more ... book our Medici's tour- conveniently online - and discover the rest together with us!
All yearDeparture point:
Firenze, Piazza della Repubblica (vicino all'Apple Store sotto la Loggia, angolo con via Pelliceria)
Full: € 29,00
approx. 2 hours and 30 minutes
There will be no refund in case of NO-SHOW (non-attendance at the start of the tour at the time and meeting point indicated on the voucher) and / or rejection of the service on-site; if customers are lost during the tour; in case customers decide to leave the tour before the end of the service.
To attend the tour, you must show up at the meeting point at least 15 minutes before the indicated departure time, and show a copy of the voucher (in electronic or paper format).
The departure is guaranteed with a minimum of 2 persons.
The tour is only available on request and for a maximum of 25 people.
Reservations can be made up to 72 working hours before the service.
In cases of force majeure (such as strikes, road works, bad weather, sudden closures, ...) the route may be subject of amendments. In any case, the same duration and quality of the booked service will be safeguarded.
In case of any problems on site, you can contact the emergency number on the voucher.
In exceptional cases and/or reasons of force majeure that may prevent the tour already purchased to run regularly (i.e. acts of nature, strikes, exceptional closures, serious unexpected events or health problems experienced by the person in charge with the service after which it is really impossible to find a substitute), the tour might be cancelled. The customer will be notified of this as soon as possible and will be asked to choose between postponing the tour on the first date available or receiving a prompt refund of the price paid for the tour, if the cancellation policy of the service itself allows a refund.
- € 0.00
Day trip to the Cinque Terre from Florence with lunch
Duration: approx. 13 hours
Location: Cinque Terre - La Spezia
- Per person
- € 115.00