Serravalle Jazz 2017
Four days of jazz in a lovely hamlet: free lessons and concerts in a magical location
From 27 August 2017 to 30 August 2017
- Bookable services
From August 27th to 30th 2017, Serravalle Pistoiese will host the 16th edition of Serravalle Jazz, an unmissable appointment for all jazz lovers, but also for those looking for an opportunity to get to know this fascinating genre. The Jazz Festival in Italy has been organized for a number of years by the Comune di Serravalle Pistoiese, Cassa di Risparmio Foundation of Pistoia and Pescia and the Pistoia Cultural Events Association, according to a formula that has remained basically unchanged but nevertheless continues to improve year after year. These jazz concerts in Italy, all free, will take place in the suggestive location of Rocca di Castruccio, which is worth a visit by itself, but when filled with the notes of the fantastic concerts it becomes truly magical. Serravalle is a small and charming village nestled on a hill that is halfway between the beautiful town of Pistoia and Montecatini Terme. All the concerts of the Serravalle jazz festival start at 9 pm. Hopefully this will not be the case, but in the case of rain they will be held in other locations around the village. During the event, from 18:00 at the Oratorio della Vergine Assunta, interesting seminars and meetings will be held to analyze aspects of the Tuscany Jazz events of the various evenings. You can take advantage of the time between the seminars and the concerts for a tasty break: near the Rocca gourmet stands where you can taste Tuscan delicacies are set up, but you can also opt for some of the village's restaurants. Among other things, enjoying the concerts of the Serravalle Jazz Festival in Toscana is also very convenient: there is a shuttle bus service that departs from the bottom of the hill in Masotti (in front of Cassa di Risparmio) and brings you to the top of the village avoiding the struggle to find a parking space. It couldn’t be easier! So let's look at the rich Serravalle Jazz program to find out what concerts and seminars will be on.
Serravalle Jazz 2017 - Concert and seminar program
Sunday, August 27th
- 18:00 – Oratorio della Vergine Assunta. Presentation of the book 'Benedetti da Parker' by Alessandro Agostinelli, an interesting journey into the life and the relationship between Charlie Parker, father of be pop and modern jazz and saxophonist Dean Benedetti.
- 21:00 - Rocca di Castruccio. The Serravalle P.se Jazz Festival opens with the duo 'Twoness' composed by pianist Mauro Grossi and saxophonist Matteo Scarpettini: their musical project ranges from jazz to influences of world music. A branch of one of the most interesting formations of Italian Jazz will be up next: the 'Barga Ensemble', a group which members vary according to the needs of the various projects but always draws its elements from the largest and numerous Big Band of Barga.
Monday, August 28th
- 18:00 – Oratorio della Vergine Assunta. Pistoia Jazz on Monday will start with a meeting that will complete your participation in the evening concerts. The percussionist Michele Raggia, who will perform with Sheppard and Petrella, will hold a seminar called ‘Quando le percussioni cantano’.
- 21:00 - Rocca di Castruccio. The Second Serravalle Jazz Festival Italy 2017 evening opens with Jacopo Fagioli Jazz quintet, a very young formation with elements from the Siena Jazz artistic forge. Up next an intermezzo by Gennaro Scarpato, percussionist and drum teacher. The evening will end with what the Italy Jazz event organizer Maurizio Tuci defines as a true ‘trio of wonders’. This is the ‘Dust Trio' made up of three real big Italian and international jazz musicians: Michele Rabbia percussioni, Andy Sheppard on saxophone and Gianluca Petrella on the trombone.
Tuesday, 29th August
- 18:00 – Oratorio della Vergine Assunta. Most part of the third evening will be devoted to Swing music, a genre that is experiencing a real second youth also thanks to the many groups that devote themselves to Lindy Hopp, the dance style that was born right from its engaging rhythm. Swing will be the musical theme that Maurizio Tuci and Nico Gori swing will discuss with the public.
- 21:00- Rocca di Castruccio. The evening will be opened by Francesco Zampini Trio. In addition to the leading guitarist, there will also be the performances of Lello Pareti (double bass) and Walter Paoli (drums). After the intermezzo by Gigi Biolcati, which will combine standard percussion sounds with others of a more ethnic flavour, the swing party will begin, making it hard to stay sat in your chair. The 'Nico Gori 10tet' will accompany you in an engaging trip to the colourful swing world.
Wednesday, August 30th
- 18:00 - Oratorio della Vergine Assunta. The latest of the Jazz Festival Serravalle seminars will be dedicated to UFIP, the well-known Pistoia company that produces percussion cymbals that are sought after by musicians from all around the world. This is another Tuscan excellence that Luigi Tronci, the founder, created and expanded thanks to his unconditional love for music.
- 21:00 - Rocca di Castruccio. The last evening of one of the jazz events Italy with the most appreciated musical suggestions will start with the 'Simone Graziano Frontal' group that will perform together with Simone Graziano and a very close-knit group: Gabriele Evangelista, Stefano Tamborrino, Dan Kinzelman. After an interlude by Dado Sezzi, one of the most anticipated Tullio de Piscopo concerts will close the Italian Jazz Festival. The Parthenopean percussionist will perform with his quintet: Gianluca Silvestri (guitar), Cesare Pizzetti (electric bass and double bass), Fabio Visocchi (keyboard) and Matteo Mammoliti (percussion and drums). During the evening, the Renato Sellani Prize will be delivered in memory of the great pianist and this year will go to Luigi Tronci.
Indeed, Serravalle Pistoiese Jazz is a great idea to spend a few days in Tuscany. In the evening you will enjoy the concerts, while during the day you can visit the wonderful areas near Serravalle (Pt). You will be spoiled for choice! So book one of our hotels in Pistoia and venture out to explore the hills of Montalbano, visit the splendid town of Pistoia and enjoy a day of relaxation at Monsummano Terme. We also strongly recommend our half-day tour in Florence: guided tour of unmissable places so as not to miss any of Florence's beauties and be back in time for your concerts in Serravalle. We do not want you to be late and miss them! We at toscanainside.com always think of everything!
Period: From 27 August 2017 to 30 August 2017
Event location: Serravalle Pistoiese
Contacts: info & full programme www.fondazionecrpt.it/serravallejazz.html
Need help choosing
Florence: Maggio Musicale Fiorentino 2019
From 02 May 2019 to 28 June 2019
Florence: Leonardo da Vinci and Florence. Selected pages from the Codex Atlanticus
From 29 March 2019 to 30 June 2019
Arezzo: Sestino Chianina Steak Festival 2019
From 28 June 2019 to 30 June 2019
Pistoia: Pistoia Blues 2019
From 05 July 2019 to 10 July 2019