Fabbrica Europa 2016
At the Leopolda Station in Florence the Festival of performing arts returns
From 05 May 2016 to 18 June 2016
- Bookable services
Theatre, dance, martial arts, contemporary art. The Festival Fabbrica Europa is all this and much more! From 5 May to 23 June 20126, this cultural event in Florence, Italy turns into an outstanding platform for experimentation at the Leopolda Station in Florence: events and theatre but mainly modern dance performances will see the presence of important internationally established companies and young talents.
Festival Fabbrica Europa 2016 wants to be a springboard to experiment with new artistic languages and talent, an open creative sharing, an exchange between artists implying innovative forms of relationship. A great event enriched by its special location: the Leopolda Train Station in Florence is undoubtedly one of the places to visit in Florence capable of making this popular International Festival of Theatre and Contemporary arts event even more charming and engaging.
The 23rd edition of the Festival Fabbrica Europa 2016 will present its cultural events of Florence in Tuscany at the Leopolda Station in Florence and also in Le Murate, the Pergola theatre, the Limonaia of Villa Strozzi, the French Institute and outside Florence Scandicci, Sesto Fiorentino, Certaldo and San Gimignano. This regional circuit of 'performing arts' aims to combine entertainment with a growing focus on training and production, addressing, in particular, young people and to those who are making their debut in the world of art and independent culture.
Fabbrica Europa 2016 Festival- program
This year's appointments with contemporary art at the Leopolda Train Station in Florence and other locations, are many and varied: dance, theatre, music, DJs, cultural meetings, workshops and much more. Below you will find some of the events on the program: for the whole program of Fabbrica Europa 2016, visit the official site www.fabbricaeuropa.net.
- Some of the shows of Fabbrica Europa 2016 Festival are dedicated to multiculturalism: it is worth mentioning the performance of the famous Spanish dancer and choreographer Sol Pico entitled 'We Women' (on 5 May at the Leopolda Station) where, along with three other choreographers of different nationalities - Japanese Minako Seki, French Julie Dossavi and Indian Shantala Shivalingappa - questions herself on the present status of women and, from the origins and characteristics of each of them, draws a portrait of a contemporary woman.
- Continuing with the multi-ethnic subject, the events at the Stazione Leopolda Station also include 'Beytna' (on 13 and 14 May) which, in Lebanese, translates as 'call home'. The house is viewed as a place to meet the essential need of eating, but also as a meeting place where people can discuss, laugh, dance and learn about the stories of each of us. It is in this context that four choreographers from as many nationalities (Lebanon, Togo, Japan and Belgium), accompanied by the music of Palestinian Joubran Trio, will gather at the table to think about 'what' dancing is today and the similarities between the traditional and modern ones.
- A great performer and one of the finest voices of the Italian landscape will perform at the Leopolda Station on 12 May: Cristina Donà in 'Sea Song' will pay homage to her favourite authors such as Robert Wyatt, Nick Drake, Nick Cave, up to the most celebrated Italian songwriters including Paolo Conte and the unforgettable Lucio Dalla.
- On the stage of Fabbrica Europain 2016 Florence also the new star of the Berlin electronic music, Lucrecia Dalt. Her sound, a mix of melodies enriched with music samplings and hand-made effects, is the result of years of research and musical analyses carried out in several European countries. On 5 May the Leopolda Station in Florence will present pieces from her album 'Commotus' released in 2012, 'Syzygy' of 2013 and 'Ou', released in December 2015 after a lot of research on the history of modern cinema in Germany.
DJ SET SHOW
- Really interesting and original is also 'Glasstress Meets Pulse!', the project of Max Casacci, Subsonica guitarist, and Vague Stars, aka Daniel Mana: the two will record the various soundscapes on board the transport vehicles of the tramway which will depart from Santa Maria Novella station. The resulting material will be mixed with the sounds of glass acquired from a furnace in Murano and sampled live on May 5 at the Leopolda Station... a DJ that should not be missed!
- The Festival Fabbrica Europa Florence also presents Daddy G of Massive Attack, the spiritual father of the so-called 'Bristol sound' which combines reggae, disco, funk and hip hop. A style that has left its mark all over the world and that has been a source of inspiration for the dubstep music: not surprisingly, the most important contemporary producers come from there. On May 6, at the Leopolda Station in Florence, he will present his most famous hits as well as some of the best known pieces of Massive Attack.
- There are great expectations for the play by Peter Brook, considered one of the most important figures of contemporary theatre: with more than 30 years since its 'Mahabharat', which in which 1985 shocked the public of the Avignon Festival, the British director - today ninety - returns to the stage with the largest epic poem not only of Indian literature but of the world. 'Battlefield' is the title of his show scheduled on 24 and 25 May 2016 at the festival Fabbrica Europa in Florence at the Teatro della Pergola. His work wants to revive the story of war and remorse that took place in ancient times but, unfortunately, is still very present, a sort of incitement to not hide the difficulties that life presents us.
- There is also space for creativity with the show 'Multilove // Sunshine' by Spring Contu and Lorenzo Cianchi (17 and 18 June, Macelli di Certaldo) in which performers will move freely, creating a harmonious liaison between place, movement and spectators. Starting from a need, each artist will investigate a gesture ending with the exploration of space, the studying of the pure movement and the revision from top to bottom of some of the typical theatrical dynamics. In order to make the project even more challenging, the players will face each other in an interesting workshop by sharing individual experiences and various ways of approaching the art of performance.
From 5 May 5 to 18 June do not miss these and all other events of Festival Fabbrica Europa at the Leopolda Station Florence in 2016: music, theatre, dance, creative workshops, conferences, meetings, installations and many other initiatives related to contemporary art awaits you.
Has the Leopolda Station intrigued you and made you want to come and visit the Tuscan capital? On our page dedicated to tours in Florence you will find many proposals to discover the history, culture, art, food and wine of this beautiful city!
Period: From 05 May 2016 to 18 June 2016
Event location: Florence
Contacts: info on official site fabbricaeuropa.net
Need help choosing
Siena: The Village of Santa Claus in Chianciano Terme
From 04 November 2017 to 26 December 2017
Pistoia: Pistoia Italian Capital of Culture 2017
From 01 January 2017 to 31 December 2017
Florence: Christmas and New Year 2017-2018
From 24 December 2017 to 06 January 2018
Prato: ‘Bound by a Girdle. Bernardo Daddi’s Our Lady of the Assumption and the identity of a city’
From 08 September 2017 to 14 January 2018